Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Training for a 5K

I'm not sure that people actually train for a 5K... by people, I mean runners. When I think about it, I imagine that a 5K for runners is nothing, and they don't really have to train for it. Maybe I'm wrong? But I'm training, because I've never ran more than half a mile in my life. Well, that's a lie, now that I'm training. I don't think Paul and I have actually verbalized a training schedule or said "We're going to run x amount of days each week for x amount of miles."... but it's happening, and I'm really proud! Yesterday, it was 42 degrees outside when we went for our jog. For Chattanooga, that's pretty cold... especially for our kids. I was in a very cranky mood because the kids had worn me out from the time I got off work to the time Paul got off work (about 4 hours). So I snapped at him, right off the bat. Luckily, the running helped both of us get in a better mood for the evening. Last Thurs-Saturday, we each jogged a mile. I'd jog a mile, while he played with the kids, then he'd jog a mile while I played with the kids.

Tonight we decided we'd do 1.5 miles. This was BY FAR my easiest jog since January! It was so nice to feel like I wasn't exhausted, frustrated, or in pain! It made me feel like this work is paying off. Paul had a really hard time and felt like he over did it. I think he is going a little too fast. I'm running about a 14:00 mile... which I know, is slow... but it's a start. When I get down to a 12:30/mi pace, I get a little too winded. Paul said that our goal should be to never run less than we are running now, and try to increase weekly. So like next week, 2 miles. The next week 2.5 miles, and then the 3.1 miles the next. That would have us running a full 5K for a week before the race. That seems so far away and so close all at the same time! It makes me so nervous. I just want to not walk any of it. Who am I kidding!?!? I want to go "fast," for me. But I'll be very proud just to finish it.

Diet wise, I'm doing good! I want to cut back a little on the Atkins endulge bars/treats. I think I'm eating one too many of them. I'd really like to get down to 3 small meals and 2 small snacks a day (and they need to be within the guidelines of Phase 1 of course). Tonight is volleyball! I love volleyball night because it's good exercise, but WAY more fun than running. :) Paul said he's planning on running sometime today at the gym, and that I need to too. I think he's planning on us running 5-6x a week! Some days, I dread it, but once I'm done, I feel like I've accomplished something so great! Something I never thought I'd be able to accomplish. I'm also excited to weigh in tomorrow and see if I'm getting any closer to my Easter goal (260lbs).

No comments:

Post a Comment